Upon arrival in Canada
Travellers entering Canada by air or by land must:
- provide basic information using the traveller contact information form, available through the ArriveCAN mobile app, an accessible web-based form, or a paper form
- undergo screening by a border services officer or quarantine officer to assess symptoms
(Get the ArriveCAN app. Use this mobile app at Canadian ports of entry.)
Travellers with symptoms: mandatory isolation
If you are Canadian or a permanent resident, and you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you may still enter Canada by land, rail or sea. You may not enter Canada by air, to protect the health of all travellers.
If you need it, we will provide you with immediate medical attention when you arrive in Canada.
If you have symptoms, you must isolate for 14 days. This is mandatory.
Travellers without symptoms: mandatory quarantine
If you have recently returned to Canada and you have no symptoms, you must quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days. This is mandatory. You are at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.
- You must quarantine (self-isolate) in a place where you will have no contact with vulnerable people, such as:
people 65 years or older, or people with underlying medical conditions
- You will need to confirm you have a suitable place to isolate where you will have access to basic necessities, such as food and medication.
- You must wear a non-medical mask or face covering while travelling to the place you will quarantine (self-isolate).
If you do not have an adequate place to quarantine (self-isolate), the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada will designate a facility where you must remain for 14 days.
All air travellers, with some exceptions, are required to wear a non-medical mask or face covering while travelling. The following people should not wear a mask: children under 2 years old, people who have trouble breathing or people who are unable to remove the mask without assistance.
If you are a foreign national arriving from the U.S. with symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be allowed to enter Canada.
Foreign nationals arriving from the U.S. without symptoms of COVID-19 will be allowed to enter Canada only for non-discretionary travel.